Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Chris Lewer
      Keymaster

Mankind currently produces 2 billion tonnes of waste each year. And according to a recent report by The World Bank, if current industrialisation and urbanisation trends continue, that figure will increase by a further 70% by 2050.

Is it really possible to reduce waste as the world’s population continues to grow?

Freebird
      Participant

I very much doubt it. Putting recyclable rubbish in your green bin may make you feel like you’re taking responsibility, but if you have 3 or 4 children, then you’re part of the problem, not the solution. More people, more waste. It’s simple mathematics!

Ripley
        Participant

I have friends in North Queensland and in their town recycling waste is just put on the local landfill along with the general waste. They are actually provided with a separate bin for recycling, but the local council doesn’t yet have a recycling facility, so dumps everything in one place. I suspect this is not unusual. But yes, less people and you have less waste to worry about.

Kora
      Participant

Waste won’t reduce while the population continues to grow. Or even if it remains the same. We need to see a steady decline in the world population. Less people will consume less and if we consume less, there will be less waste. It really is that simple.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Please LOGIN to take part in this discussion.

© 2024 Friends of Retha · All Rights reserved · Another unique website designed, built and hosted by Clarity Digital

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account